Master's Degree Programme in Biomedical Sciences: Molecular Biotechnology and Diagnostics University of Turku
Master the exciting field of biotechnology!
The Master's Degree Programme in Biomedical Sciences – Molecular Biotechnology and Diagnostics specialization track will equip you for a career in the exciting field of biotechnology and translation research.
Through the programme in Molecular Biotechnology and Diagnostics, you will obtain extensive theoretical and practical expertise on central concepts and techniques in modern molecular biotechnology and diagnostics.
You will also learn to apply the acquired knowledge in practice for the development of novel tools and methods for the detection of molecular substances. The education is focused on the key technologies of diagnostics and molecular biology with opportunities to apply this knowledge both to medical and other areas of diagnostics.
After graduation, you will be equipped with skills that enable you to join the industry, to pursue a career as a scientist, or to enter the public sector. In addition, the curriculum also gives a good foundation for those interested in entrepreneurship.
Academic Excellence & Experience
Focus areas of research in Molecular Biotechnology and Diagnostics studies are novel diagnostic concepts and technologies. The studies focus also on diagnostics applications in various areas such as medicine, environmental, and food quality monitoring. Other research topics of importance include:
- Antibody and protein engineering.
- Fluorescence marker technologies.
- Nucleic acid detection techniques.
- Biomarker discovery.
- Development related to both communicable and non-communicable diseases of global importance.
Master's Thesis & Topics
The final project aiming for the Master’s thesis is based on an independent, experimental research project in a laboratory. The research work is made under the guidance of a supervisor.
The results obtained in the research project will be presented in a Master’s seminar using common procedures known from scientific meetings.
The Master’s thesis will be written based on the results from the experimental work and a review of relevant background literature.
Examples of thesis topics:
- Effect of codon usage of signal sequence on Fab fragment expression.
- Antibody Expression, Purification, and Assay development for the detection of Malaria.
- Colorectal cancer-specific CEA lectin nanoparticle assay.
- Lateral flow assay platform for infectious disease diagnostics.
- Utilization of skeletal Troponin I recognizing binders in immunoassay.
- Enhanced cancer-specificity of tumour markers by lectin-labelled nanoparticles.
Biomedical Sciences At Turku Universities
Turku has longstanding research traditions in the field of biomedicine. Especially the fields of drug discovery, diagnostics, and biological and medical imaging represent the top-level expertise of the University of Turku.
The Molecular Biotechnology and Diagnostics specialization track is part of the Master’s Degree Programme in Biomedical Sciences. The close cooperation of four specialization tracks forms a unique educational combination of biomedical sciences in Finland and worldwide. Other specialization tracks of the Master’s Degree Programme in Biomedical Sciences are:
The Master’s Degree Programme in Biomedical Sciences is organized in collaboration with two universities, the University of Turku and Åbo Akademi University, and managed together by the Faculties of Medicine, and Science and Engineering at the University of Turku.
The offered education is based on the true research strengths of the participating units:
- Department of Chemistry at the University of Turku
- Institute of Biomedicine at the University of Turku
- Department of Biochemistry at the University of Turku
- Department of Biosciences at the Åbo Akademi University
Want to receive deadline reminders, event invitations and tips once a month to your email?
Subscribe to the Future with UTU Newsletter, by Admission Services of the University of Turku.
The specialization track Molecular Biotechnology and Diagnostic is a two-year programme of 120 ECTS credits. The curriculum is comprised of study modules:
- Molecular Biotechnology (20 ECTS)
- Diagnostics (20 ECTS)
- Practical exercises (20 ECTS)
- Master’s thesis and related courses (40 ECTS)
- Other studies including mandatory language studies (20 ECTS)
Major subject studies are track-specific but can be offered as selectable studies for all the study tracks of MDB in Biomedical Sciences. Each student makes a personal study plan which helps to select the courses that best suit for personal interests and background of the student.
In the Programme, you will:
- Learn state-of-the-art and emerging techniques in modern molecular biotechnology serving the medical and other diagnostics fields.
- Gain the ability to apply the acquired knowledge in practice to create novel bio affinity tools and platforms.
- Gain in-depth knowledge of infectious diseases, cardiac and cancer diagnostics.
- Gain in-depth knowledge of biomarker discovery, proof-of-concept building, and clinical validation.
- Learn the prerequisites for translating novel technologies into routine applications.
- Gain skills for co-operation in a multi-language laboratory environment.
Molecular Biotechnology and Diagnostics specialization track has close connections to the diagnostic and biopharmaceutical industry. Numerous industrial collaborators include both Finnish and major international players. An important partner in the development of educational and research collaborations is the Indo-Finn Diagnostic Research Centre.
You will be equipped with skills that provide you with multiple career options. You will be able to join the industry in Finland or abroad, or to enter the public sector, for example, in various authoritative duties.
The biotech industry is among the fastest-growing industrial sectors globally. In Finland, there is a strong demand for biotechnology experts at the moment. Especially the diagnostic industry, which is the largest sector of the biotech industry in Finland, needs new professionals. The education in Molecular Biotechnology and Diagnostics also provides a good foundation for those interested in entrepreneurship.
Possible job titles are:
- Quality manager
- Product developer
- Product manager
- Project coordinator
Career in Research
The Master of Science degree completed in the Programme qualifies the graduates for PhD studies in Turku, elsewhere in Finland or universities worldwide.
Graduates from the programme are eligible to apply for a position in the University of Turku Graduate School, UTUGS. The Graduate School consists of doctoral programmes, which cover all disciplines and doctoral candidates of the University.
Together with the doctoral programmes, the Graduate School provides systematic and high-quality doctoral training. UTUGS aims to train highly qualified experts with the skills required for both professional careers in research and other positions of expertise.
Several doctoral programmes at the University of Turku are available for graduates:
- Drug Research
- Molecular Life Sciences
- Molecular Medicine
- Clinical Research