MA in Health and Wellbeing University of the Highlands and Islands
What is special about this course?
The MA Health and Wellbeing is designed to meet the career development needs of health and social care professionals in the UK.
The course will increase your awareness of the social, technological, economic, political and environmental changes taking place within the health and social care, whether in the public, private or voluntary sectors, enabling you to take your career to the next stage.
You will study core modules in the development of local, national and international health and social care policy, the influence of sociology, psychology and ethics on our understanding of health and wellbeing, the issues of health and social care provision in remote and rural areas as well as gaining skills in research methods.
You will study part-time through fully-supported online learning, with lectures, tutorials and other materials accessible via the university’s virtual learning environment (VLE). You will receive regular support from your tutors and peers via online discussions, telephone and email; whichever suits you best.
- The course is delivered online which means you can fit your studies around your work and personal commitments wherever you are in the world
- The course content contributes to the development of the core dimensions in the NHS Knowledge and Skills Framework (KSF): communication; personal and people development; health, safety and security; service improvement; quality; and equality and diversity
- You will also have the opportunity to study modules in more specialised areas, such as child and adolescent mental health, diabetes, informatics in health and social care, patient safety in health and social care environments and lean quality improvement methodology
- Students are encouraged to undertake research in relation to their specific interest or in relation to their employment for the dissertation module
- Students can complete the university’s Skills and Employability Award and gain recognition (not academic credit) for a range of activities you take part in addition to your studies to help you stand out from the crowd and demonstrate the skills you have, prepare for a real interview and impress prospective employers
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have completed your MA Health and Wellbeing course, NHS staff currently on bands 5 and 6 of the NHS Career Framework Ladder can progress to bands 7 and 8.
Completion of this course will also lead to enhanced employment opportunities.