Global Health Challenges PgCert, PgProfDev (Online Learning) The University of Edinburgh
The programme will utilise the particular expertise that the University of Edinburgh and its global partners offer in global health including its medical, nursing and biomedical excellence.
- This programme is 1-2 years online part-time study
- After taking this programme, graduates can also take two further postgraduate certificates in Global Development Challenges and Global Environment Challenges. Completion of all three certificates leads to an MSc in Global Challenges.
- This programme is affiliated with the University's Global Health Academy
What to expect at the University of Edinburgh
As a student within the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine, you will join more than 7,000 students studying a range of postgraduate programmes. Following the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021, our vet school and our medical school were both among the UK top five, ranked by research power (Times Higher Education, Overall Ranking of Institutions REF 2021).
Your postgraduate experience here will be supported and enhanced by the wealth of resources and opportunities we offer. We are committed to delivering high-quality, innovative teaching. The latest report from the Quality Assurance Agency awarded us the highest rating possible for the quality of the student learning experience.
The University of Edinburgh is currently ranked 15th in the World in the QS World University Rankings 2023.
This programme in Global Health Challenges is suitable for:
- Those already working in global health and development, or those planning to work with international and national health agencies, with the tools, knowledge and skills to engage with complex problems related to equitable and just health and well-being.
- Those who are interested in global development and aid
- Those who are interested in careers in health journalism
- Those who work in international business in the health and social care fields
- Those who work in corporate social responsibility and sustainability
On completion of this certificate, you will have an understanding of the processes and procedures by which the global health agenda is shaped.
You will also possess the analytical and conceptual skills necessary to critically evaluate the nature of global health issues and to understand the interconnectedness of health with social, environmental, psychological and economic determinants.
Why study a Pg Cert in Global Health Challenges
Graduates will gain the knowledge and skills required for pursuing a career with/in:
- global health agencies
- political institutions
Our recent graduates have gone on to work in academia, national and intergovernmental organisations (for example, EU, UN) in senior advisory and managerial roles.
How The University of Edinburgh can support you
We are committed to helping you to develop skills and attributes that will enhance your ability to compete in the job market, to progress your career, and to achieve your full potential within the global community. In addition to the provision of dedicated support through our award-winning Careers Service, we broker strategic partnerships between academics, industry specialists and other institutions, to enhance your personal and professional development and provide relevant career insights.
Our graduates are ranked 24th in the world by employers, making the University an excellent choice for a postgraduate education with prospects (QS World University Rankings 2023).
The programme is delivered using an innovative blend of online learning opportunities supported by online learning environments.
It will involve online discussion, group project work, online lectures delivered by world expert leaders, occasional synchronous sessions and independent study and reflection.
The programme comprises two 20-credit core courses and 20 credits of elective courses.
The core courses for 2020-21 are:
- Global Health Challenges: an Introduction
- Evaluation of Global Health and Development Programmes
The elective courses offered in 2020-21 include:
- Maternal and Child Health in a Global Context
- Migration and Health
- Leadership and Management in Public Health
MSc Global Challenges
After taking this programme, graduates can also take two further postgraduate certificates in Global Development Challenges and Global Environment Challenges. Completion of all three certificates leads to an MSc in Global Challenges.
Scholarships and Funding
Online Commonwealth Scholarships: Global Health
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) supports students living and working in listed Commonwealth Countries. Every year the Global Health Academy makes application to the CSC for scholarships, some of which are available for Global Challenges MSc applicants. Please watch this site for updates on 2022 scholarship opportunities.
The scholarships cover tuition fees and are awarded to outstanding candidates who are committed to ensuring that their study is impactful to their country.