MSc Food and Nutrition Sciences (with Work Experience) Sheffield Hallam University
- Gain the advanced qualifications needed for an exciting career in food and nutritional science
- Benefit from a healthy job market and a course emphasis on employability
- Attain in-depth knowledge of nutrition, food production, legislation and development
- Prepare for technical and product development roles in a vibrant industry
- Study in an applied setting with state-of-the-art kitchens and facilities
MSc Food and Nutrition Sciences allows you to advance your existing relevant qualifications and specialise in the field. You'll use hands-on techniques and study food and nutrition in depth, preparing for a worthwhile career.
How you learn
This course prepares you for technical and product development roles in the food industry with a strong emphasis on nutrition. You learn about food production and nutrition in an applied setting, developing core technical skills in our state-of-the-art development kitchens, food and nutrition labs and sensory suite. You apply these practical skills to live briefs with commercial applications provided by our industrial partners, such as Morrisons and Cranswick PLC, as well as in optional placements.
You learn through
- lectures, seminars and workshops
- practical sessions
- live projects
- case studies
- optional placements
- academic research
This course is delivered face-to-face over three semesters - teaching is scheduled based on the length of your course and the academic calendar.
Work experience is embedded midway through your course. Your dissertation module will be submitted upon completion of your placement.
This course involves an optional industry placement, which can run for six to twelve months. These provide you with valuable industry experience and contacts.
In the professional and academic skills strand of this course you will apply your learning to academic research and commercial briefs. Examples include developing tasty healthy alternatives, understanding the impact of food labelling on consumers, developing a food product for a major food retailer partner or supporting local SMEs with food quality assurance systems.
With strong industry and alumni ties, placement opportunities and commercial briefs, this course provides ample opportunity for networking.
- Developing Food Concepts And Products
- Food Chain
- Food Processing Safety And Quality Management
- Life-Course Approach To Nutrition
- Nutritional Physiology And Biochemistry
- Research Methods
- Work Related Learning
- Msc Placement
Scholarships and Funding
We offer competitive scholarships, discounts and awards for international fee-paying students on a range of courses.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.