Residency program in Dermatovenerology Novosibirsk State University
Teaching medicine at Novosibirsk State University was organized on the basis of the Division of Medical Biology of the Department of Natural Sciences. In 1995, training of specialists qualified in biomedical research was started there. The Same year, the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation decided to open the medical departments at three classical universities in Moscow, Petersburg, and Novosibirsk. The academicians of the Russian Academy of Sciences – Ludmila N.Ivanova, Dmitry G.Knorre, and Valentin V.Vlasov – were among the founders of the university medical department in Novosibirsk. In 2002, Novosibirsk State University was licensed to teach general medicine, and the next year the first students were enrolled in the Division of Medicine of the Department of Natural Sciences. In 2003, the division evolved into a new university department, and professor Andrey G.Pokrovsky, M.D. became the first dean of the department.
In 2009, the first graduation of the Medical Department of Novosibirsk State University occurred. All the graduates obtained the Medical Doctor Diploma with specialization in General Medicine, and those who decided to proceed with medical practice were admitted as interns or resident doctors to the different hospitals of Novosibirsk city and the region. Some of the graduates entered the post-graduate education programs at the research institutes of the Siberian Branches of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences and pursued the biomedical research career. The Same year, the state accreditation for the teaching of general medicine was successfully obtained. The Medical Department of Novosibirsk State University is still in the process of growth. In 2010, the Center for Post-Graduate Medical Education was established at the department, and the official license to carry out the post-graduate internship and residence education in different key specialties was issued to Novosibirsk State University in 2011.
Educational Program for Teaching Foreign Students in the English Language in Residency on “Dermatovenerology"
- Cell biology. Stem cells have a unique ability: when they divide, they can either give rise to more stem cells, or to a variety of specialized cell types. In both mice and humans, a layer of cells at the base of the skin contains stem cells that can develop into the specialized cells in the layers above. At some point in their lives, the stem cells at the base of the skin stop proliferating and start differentiating into the cells that form the skin itself. To do so, they must turn off the 'stem cell program' in their genes and turn on the 'skin cell program'. Study of stem cells opens up new horizons in understanding the pathogenesis of diseases of the skin and extends the capabilities of therapy in dermatology and cosmetology.
- Molecular biology is the branch of biology that deals with the structure and function of macromolecules (for example proteins and nucleic acids functioning within skin cells, and the cells of those structures found within the skin) that are essential to life. Biological realities dictate that effective skin care products or treatment can only be derived from an understanding of cellular functioning.
- Residents are immersed in dermatopathology training through daily sign-outs with dermatopathology staff members, specialized dermatopathology conferences, glass slide self-assessment. The experience gained during this rotation provides the resident with insight into the practice of dermatopathology from the initial processing of biopsy specimens to the optimal interpretation of histologic slides and writing of pathology reports.
- Biochemistry. For the diagnosis of diseases of the skin are often used biochemical tests. Course biochemistry adapted to the requirements of Dermatology and Venereology and includes narrow aspects of biochemical disorders in skin diseases.
- Genetics. Genetic predisposition is important in the diagnosis of many skin diseases, such widespread as eczema and psoriasis, as well as in developing and they have met. The course of genetics addresses the most pressing issues of hereditary diseases for dermatology.