Global Public Health MSc Newcastle University
Post Graduate Virtual Open Day - May 17th
Join our experts and discover your future with Newcastle University
Our Global Public Health MSc gives you the skills and knowledge to confidently address global health challenges facing societies today.
There are many public health challenges facing societies today, including:
- increasing inequalities
- climate change
- displacement of populations
- global pandemics
Global Public Health MSc addresses these issues and others. It encourages you to consider the roles of and interactions between:
- international organisations
- multinational corporations
You'll investigate global health challenges with a specific focus on your interests.
The United Nations and the World Health Organization have identified ways to improve health for all. These include the UN Sustainable Development Goals. To work towards universal health coverage and universal access targets, it is necessary to have an understanding of complex health interventions. You'll consider their social, political, and economic contexts.
The Global Public Health MSc is part of the Population Health Sciences Insititute.
- 1st in the UK and 8th in the world for sustainable development – Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2022
- 42% of our research is classified as 4* world-leading research – Research Excellence Framework 2021
- 65% increase in research power since 2014 – Research Excellence Framework 2021
- Global Top 125 University - QS World University Rankings 2023
- Global Top 140 University - Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023
- Top 125 for Clinical and Health – Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2022
- Top 70 for Life Sciences and Medicine - QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022
What you'll learn
You'll develop your knowledge of the varied analyses and methodologies required by:
- modern-day doctors and health professionals
- public servants
You'll understand and critique information and practice. You'll advocate on behalf of your patients and communities.
You'll train in public health sciences. There is a detailed grounding in introductory and advanced research methods.
You will study modules in this course. A module is a unit of a course with its own approved aims and outcomes and assessment methods.
- Fundamentals of Research 20
- Advanced Social Determinants of Health 10
- Introduction to Health Policy and Health Systems 10
- Public Policy, Health and Health Inequalities 10
- Introduction to systematic reviewing and critical appraisal 10
- Global Health 20
- Dissertation (FT) 60
- Introduction to Global Health Policy and Medicines Use 10
- Global Health Policy and Medicine Use 20
- Health Economics 10
- Health Statistics 20
- Public Health Intervention 10
- Public Health Protection 10
- Health Care Quality 10
- Evaluative Methods in Health Services Research 10
- Applications of Epidemiology to Public Health 10
- Chronic Disease Epidemiology 10
Our global health master's postgraduate students can go on to work in:
- international organisations
- the voluntary sector
- healthcare and service delivery
- the private sector where there is involvement in providing healthcare and public services