The Medical University of Silesia has over sixty-year tradition. The University was established in 1948 as the Medical Academy in Rokitnica Bytomska. The first Rector of the school was Professor Nowakowski, a famous specialist in hygiene.
University has developed its activity and has become a large Higher Education Institution. Now in five schools is provided with education on 13 fields of studies focused on preparing specialists for work in various communities and the national health care system. Now the Medical University of Silesia provides education to over 9000 students, Ph.D., and postgraduate students. The University also conducts classes in English (English Program) for students from all over the world.