Masters of Science Global Health Equity Medical College Of Wisconsin
The Masters of Science in Global Health Equity program prepares students to be global health leaders who will learn by engaging with diverse local and global populations. A common theme is health equity with an emphasis on community engaged approaches. Our experiential learning program is hands on and project based.
This highly interactive program offers courses primarily in person and allows for full-time or part-time study. Our graduate school offers a 1:1 faculty to student ratio and an exceptionally collaborative environment with a focus on individualized student mentorship. Students may begin the program in the Fall or Spring Semester.
All students will learn the core competencies needed for a successful career in global health, including:
- How to formulate a culturally appropriate research question, practical steps to study design, interpretation and dissemination of results.
- Factors that shape the health of global populations and how multidisciplinary, multinational partnerships can improve health.
- Develop programs and identify activities which can be implemented to improve health outcomes in a variety of settings.
- Use epidemiological information to properly monitor, inform upon, and shape the health responses to humanitarian aid, water and sanitation, nutritional relief, and health care.
- Compare the determinants of health and risk factors for conditions of major importance in global health and their relationship to culture.
- Understand human subjects’ protections in research with diverse communities.
The thesis work is a 6 credit required component of the MS in Global Health Equity program. It is a planned, supervised, and evaluated practical experience designed to enhance and complement the educational training. Students will engage in a research or a community engagement project and are encouraged to choose a thesis placement that aligns with their career interests. Global and local placements are available with MCW’s established partners.
Students will write a thesis paper which they are encouraged to submit for publication as the final product of the degree program.
What is Global Health Equity?
Global Health Equity is providing the opportunity to everyone to pursue the healthiest life possible, no matter who they are or where they come from.
Graduates of the MS Global Health Equity program will be prepared to work in a variety of settings with many career opportunities including but not limited to:
- Federal, state, and local health agencies
- Non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- Disaster relief organizations
- International aid and development agencies
- International health organizations
- Research and academic institutions
- Refugee Resettlement
- Community-based agencies
- Private Foundations
- Health Policy
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.