Certificate in Personal Support Worker (PSWR) Georgian College
This program is designed to prepare students with the knowledge and skills needed to provide support services to people living at home, in long term care or acute care facilities, and to function as integral members of the health care team. Upon successful completion of this program, students learn to effectively communicate with clients, families and members of the health care team, and to provide safe and competent care for individual clients experiencing physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioural challenges. Personal Support Workers (PSWs) are unregulated health care providers who work under the supervision of regulated health care professional or in the supported independent living environment under the direction of the client.
New! Accelerated Personal Support Worker program
Become a PSW after just six months with free tuition!
Now more than ever, there's a demand for PSWs across the province. Be ready to join the health-care team by fall 2021 with Georgian's accelerated PSW program, paid for by the Government of Ontario.
- Six-month, accelerated program delivered remotely with one in-person lab
- Graduate job-ready with full credentials and essential skills to provide quality care
- Free tuition and compulsory ancillary fees for domestic students
- Paid work placements in our community
This is a limited, one-time offer for April and May 2021 intakes only:
- April 5 in Barrie, Midland, Muskoka (Bracebridge) and Orangeville
- May 10 in Barrie, Owen Sound and South Georgian Bay (Collingwood)
How to apply
Applications will be accepted through ontariocolleges.ca/psw beginning March 8. Please note the May 10 intake at the Barrie Campus will not start receiving applications until March 22.
Offers will be granted to qualified applicants on a first-come, first-served basis so it’s important to apply immediately if you’re interested in this program. If accepted, you must confirm your offer by the deadline in the offer letter or be at risk of losing your seat.
Part-time delivery option
We also offer a part-time delivery format for this program:
- study part-time at the Muskoka Campus
- complete the program in one year over three semesters (fall, winter and summer)
- BIOL 1014 - The Essential Body (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- PSWR 1035 - Professional Foundations (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- PSWR 1036 - PSW Laboratory Skills (Semester 1 / 84 hours)
- PSWR 1037 - PSW Community Care (Semester 1 / 28 hours)
- PSWR 1038 - Palliative Care (Semester 1 / 28 hours)
- PSWR 1039 - Health Challenges and Continuing Care (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- PSWR 1040 - Mental Health Challenges and Continuing Care (Semester 2 / 28 hours)
- PSWR 1041 - PSW Professional Practice 1 (Semester 2 / 112 hours)
- PSWR 1042 - PSW Professional Practice 2 (Semester 2 / 224 hours)
- Select 1 course from the communications list during registration. (Semester 1)
General education courses
- Select 1 course from the general education list during registration. (Semester 1)
Graduates provide and facilitate clearly identified personal care and routine activities of daily living in order to assist clients in being as healthy and as independent as possible. PSW graduates may find employment in retirement homes, long term care facilities, homes for the aged, various community agencies (private and public), acute care facilities, as well as in independent practice.